Friday, February 25, 2011

Oh yeah, I found it.

You all know a lot about me, but one thing you probably don't know is that I'm an avid cross stitcher, always have been. I pick it up and put it down every now and then, as with most hobbies, but it's something I've always enjoyed. As my Dad's illness progressed, my interest increased again and I've been stitching like crazy.

{Prepare for sudden subject change}

Any Mad Men fans out there? I know, I know, I'm waaaaay behind on this one. Everyone's told me how much I'd love the show, but I just never never had the time to watch it, until recently. I finally picked up season one from the library and, of course, was instantly hooked. I spent 11 years in advertising and design, and have always felt like I should have been spending my prime in the late 50s/early 60s, so aside from all the smoking (sheesh!), that totally could have been my life.

I plowed through seasons one and two in less than a week's time, but it was during the finale of season 2 that my little heart skipped a beat. Anyone remember this opening shot of the scene with Betty at the doctor's office?


It was much clearer on the TV but that's a cross stitch. A mighty big one, too. And really, could it be any darn cuter?


From that moment on it became my goal to find that pattern! With the beauty of the internet these days, I figured I could do it with no problem. My hunt proved to be a little more difficult than I first anticipated but after three weeks of super sleuthing, I had that little number in my crafty little hands!

When you think about, three weeks to find a pattern from the 40s is pretty darn amazing. But we're so used to instant results that it felt like an eternity. It did take quite a bit of detective work, but it was really fun. All that matters now is that I'm ready to start stitching!


The original piece was 2 feet wide, but was stitched on 7 count fabric! I generally use 16 or 18 count fabric, so my finished piece will be quite smaller, but still big enough to really be a stunner. Best part is, this pattern has a partner, a matching buck! You bet I'm making both.

They will definitely take me some time to complete, but I'll be sure to share some progress photos and, of course, the finished pieces!

So aside from my Mother and Fawn obsession, I stitched up many cute pieces for holiday gifts using patterns I found on Etsy and am also currently working on a few for myself, with a long wishlist to follow.


I purchased this fox pattern from andwabasabi on Etsy and stitched it up for my cousins out in Seattle.


I stitched this home sweet home up from a ChezSucreChez pattern I also found on Etsy.


I'm a big fan of single color work and silhouettes, and these entomology patterns by What Delilah Did are just too cool! I purchased the bee pattern but haven't tackled it yet.

She has some fabulous photos on her flickr page here of her pieces on display. Definitely inspiring!


I also purchased these patterns a little while back from kattuna on Etsy. I've been working on them to hang in my workspace, but I've only finished the bird so far. In mustard yellow, of course :)


I stitched a couple initials from patterns from andwabisabi for holiday gifts as well. You really can't go wrong with simplicity! The one shown above is a photo from her shop and you can find patterns for almost the entire alphabet there.



These flower patterns from Artecy are on a whole different level, but something I can't wait to take on. Aren't they beautiful?

A few of my other favorite pattern sites outside of Etsy are:
Cross Stitch Art — I absolutely love their art nouveau patterns. I have four in my to-do pile.
Stitch Alley — They have a fabulous collection of letter monograms.
Pinoy Stitch — They have a huge selection of anything under the sun! This pattern is also in my to-do pile. Crazy? Just a little.

And last but not least, I have two favorite books I have to recommend for nature lovers. The first is Roses and Flowering Branches in Counted Cross Stitch. Amazing! It's on the pricier side because it's hard to find, but totally worth it. I want to stitch every pattern in the book. (I have some photos if anyone wants to see more before purchasing it!)

The second is a book I picked up from the library yesterday, Four Seasons in Cross Stitch. I don't love every pattern in the book but the four images on the cover plus some adorable mushrooms inside make it worth the $4 for a used copy.

So, who else shares my passion? And, more importantly, did anyone else out there have the same reaction when seeing that piece on Mad Men?!

happy weekend, everyone ~ xo

11 comments:

AlbeeLucky said...

Thanks for sharing where you purchased those amazing patterns. I had recently picked up cross stitching and I find that it's easy to get obsessive about it :)One problem I have come across...where do I display everything?
<3 AlbeeLucky.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Love Mad Men! I never noticed that deer cross stitch, in that one episode (good eyes!) but it's really cool that you were able to locate the pattern!

Miss Frekkles said...

WOW you really must be a super sleuth, thats some pretty good detective work. I did notice it too, but its normally the furniture I ooh and ah at.

Orion Designs said...

I think it's amazing that you were able to find that pattern at all! Super sleuth is right!

Of course, I never noticed it on the show either. I need to pay closer attention to the details. When I get the next season from netflix, I'll be watching for spectacular jewelry!

Amy B said...

I've also been a cross-stitcher off and on my whole life. And oh man, this post is making me want to get back into it, like TODAY! xo

Clementine said...

Oh my god, you are adorable. Seriously, seriously adorable.

Also: I love Mad Men. Just wait till you get to the last episode of this past season. Pure. Genius.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I love cross stitching! I haven't done it in so long... I may need to dig out my supplies. It's a perfect project for a winter day.

StudioCalifornia said...

I collect Vintage cross stitch patterns for my retirement. I love them. Then I hopefully have more time for it.

OhMyAmpersand said...

I love this post! Cross stitch has certainly caught my attention lately. You've found so many beauties. I look forward to the finished deer pieces. :)

3 weeks is amazing to find the exact vintage item you were searching for. When we bought our starter home, the only nice thing in it (before our big reno) was the art nouveau slip shade fixture in the dining room. It was missing a shade. It took 6 months of searching online everyday/going to vintage lighting stores. I finally found a PAIR. Of course I found it on ebay and paid too much, but at that point I did not care. When we moved, we brought the fixture with us. When we build our new home (hopefully soon) it will follow us again.

Treasure hunting is sooo worth it. :)

LazyTcrochet said...

That looks like a fun pattern. I used to cross-stitch, but I haven't in years. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I think you have just inspired me to start cross stitching .. i love the look of the solid colors... and the vintage look of it all... thats for sharing :)

Micia

yellowbirdcreation@gmail.com